Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Going on an Adventure!

Here's my big news for the week... I'm temporarily closing the shop on Thursday, January 30th 2014!

While the thought of putting my store on hiatus saddens me, I am also absolutely electric with excitement for our upcoming 2 month adventure in Europe. The combination of feelings is a bit weird I'll tell you.

I will be leaving my studio behind for an uber-transportable document-tube filled paper and supplies. (I will probably pick up a cheap drawing board once I'm there, as I really don't want to pack my 18 x 24 sheet of masonite.) I'm really looking forward to working in such a drastically different manner, and very curious to see how (or if!) it changes my process in the long run.



I had debated hiring an assistant to manage my orders while I am away, but upon careful reflection, I don't think that's the best option for my buyers or for me. I love, love working one-on-one with my fantastic customers, adding little details to each order before I ship them - and I can't quite do that to the level of quality I want, when I'm abroad and on the road.

My grandpa used to tell us grandkids, "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well." And I believe this absolutely applies to my shop. It is totally worth doing (I love my job!) and it is absolutely necessary to do it well. I just don't feel like I'll be able to give the orders the attention they deserve whilst adventuring around Europe.

So, I'll be putting my shop into vacation mode until April 10th, when Fin and Feather Art will reopen bigger and better than ever! (Hopefully with lots of work inspired by this adventure too!)

I will definitely be posting photos, sketches and ramblings on here, my facebook page and instagram, so keep checking those spaces for updates!


No comments:

Post a Comment